8585 « All Events
- This event has passed.
Introduction to Virtual Reality
May 6, 2020$600
This intermediate 1-day course will teach students how to get started in VR development. Taught using the Laser Cop Room Scale VR Game, students will cover many topics including: developing a basic VR game for PC/Mac/Console, optimization techniques, ergonomics, physics and audio for VR. Projects built in this course will be fully compatible with HTC Vive, Oculus Rift, or equally usable with any other PC headset.
Who Should Attend
Anyone with knowledge of the Unity platform who is interested in developing projects in VR.
- Practical working knowledge of computers and basic Mac OS X or Windows skills.
- Prior experience with the Unity editor.
Note: The curricula below consists of activities typically covered in a class at this skill level. The instructor may, at his/her discretion, adjust the lesson plan to meet the needs of the class.
Lesson 1: Understanding VR
- Gain a foundational knowledge of the modern history of VR and how Unity fits into the space
- Review the various types of headsets on the market today
- Analyze user experience for positive VR implementations
Lesson 2: Setting Up the Project and Enabling VR
- Enable VR settings in the Unity editor
- Create a script stand-in to allow game development and testing when a headset is not available
- Implement In-Editor console notifications to ease development when a headset is being used
Lesson 3: UI Interaction and Room Scale
- Analyze the key issues related to non-standardized scale within a VR project
- Identify asset scale requirements for a VR project
- Configure imported assets so scale is consistent throughout the project
- Configure an accurate height for the Player character for both a seated/standing and room-scale experience
Lesson 4: Implementing Gameplay
- Identify the key differences between developing games for VR versus other traditional platforms
- Identify different techniques to handle movement in VR games and analyze when they are best utilized in different game types
- Create Input settings to accommodate VR controllers
- Create Enemies and Player models appropriate for VR games
Lesson 5: Adjusting Audio
- Understand how sound works in a VR space
- Identify the key features of spatial audio and how it is utilized in VR
- Set important audio sources to spatialize in the game
Questions? Contact us at LearningPartnerSupport@thinkedu.com